We are family of allotmenteers from South Wales in our second year and second plot (gone from half to full size plot)
Last year when we took the kids up to the Brecon Beacons we found lots of tiny tadpoles. They both wanted to take some home and put them in our new pond (we have a little wildlife pool at home). We already had frogspawn in our pond on the “baby plot” so we let them fill 2 jam jars and emptied them into the pond. There was about 50 or so. As the pond established itself they were well fed so almost all of them matured to frogs and went off into the garden.
In the past few days we have had four lots of frogspawn deposited in the pond. Whereas I would love to keep them there this isn’t really an option. When we leave the house the pond will have to be filled in. This could happen sooner rather than later. Our only choice was to take them up to the bath pond in our new plot.
I grabbed a 14 litre tub and was surprised with how much was actually in there. I reckon about 10 litres of this was spawn. You can see for yourself in the photos.
They have now been deposited in their new home. Hopefully they’ll mature and help to control the slug population. We’ll now have to think about giving them places to hide during the heat of the day…